Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Review
At the beginning of September 2017, Xiaomi gave us a sneak peek at their newest model, Mi Mix 2. After being under pressure to come up with something new and improved, the vice president, Hugo Barra, made a big reveal at an event earlier this month and showcased the new Mi Mix 2 model.
Even though the attendants of the event were stunned and impressed with the new model, we thought that it would be best to take a closer look at what Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 has to offer and provide you with more information on your potential purchase.
We were lucky enough to get our hands on the new Mi Mix 2
days before the official release date. By doing so, we would love to give you our personal thoughts and opinions about Mi Mix 2.
Mi Mix 2 comes in two colors, black and white, and it’s one of the few smartphones of its kind to have a ceramic built. Its dimensions are 151.8 x 75.5 x 7.7 mm (5.98 x 2.97 x 0.30 in) and it only weighs 185 grams.
Along with its design and built it also has:
- Dual nano SIM capability.
- 5.99 inch IPS display with 1080 x 2160 pixels (~403 ppi pixel density) resolution
- Two RAM options – 6GB and 8GB
- Fingerprint scanner.
- Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 3.0)
- A dual camera that takes high-quality pictures and videos. (12 megapixel rear camera and 5 megapixel front camera for selfies)
- Runs on Android 7.1 OS
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 CPU and Kryo 280 GPU
What are some negative and positive points?
- It’s made of aluminum alloy and ceramic casing, which gives it a sleek and modern aesthetic.
- It comes with a few sensors which include a compass magnetometer, proximity sensor, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, and barometer.
- It has a fingerprint scanner for extra security.
- It’s powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor.
- The screen has a full HD+ resolution.
- This model does not come with an earphone jack.
- It is not possible to add external storage.
- Somewhat expensive coming up at about $693.
- The rear camera takes average quality pictures. The front camera with 5 Megapixel sensor will not satisfy any instagram users for selfie shots.
What Else Should I Know?
There will be a special edition version of the Mi Mix 2 which will feature a full ceramic design without aluminum alloy and a 18K gold coating covering the fingerprint sensor and camera rim. It will also come with 128 GB of storage and 8 GB of RAM.
As with most smartphones, the camera is always an important feature, but for consumers who are looking for the best quality camera, it’s important to note something about Mi Mix 2. Unlike other Xiaomi models, this one does not have a dual camera. You do get a decent Sony IMX386 image sensor with 4-axis optical image stabilization and a f/2.0 aperture. However, the quality of images doesn’t come even close to Apple and Samsung flagships.
Mi Mix 2 also supports global bands so you can use the phone all around the world without worrying.
Some Final Thoughts
Although Xiaomi’s Vice President has showcased the phone at recent events, Mi Mix 2 will be released on September 27th, 2017 internationally, but you can buy it already on GearBest website.
Overall, we feel that Mi Mix 2 takes a lot of the features that it had in its previous version and improves them while making it more user-friendly. The 5.99-inch display makes things a lot easier to handle and the curved sides plated with ceramic give users a more comfortable feel.
In a nutshell, we believe that Mi Mix 2 is an excellent and high-quality smartphone that can stand next to models such as Galaxy S8, iPhone 8 Plus and LG V30.
If you’re looking to step outside of the word of Samsung and Apple without losing the quality, we highly recommend giving Mi Mix 2 a chance.
Eric is an avid tech junkie, gamer, and comic fan. When he's not working on his PC, you'll find him at your local comic book shop.