Samsung Galaxy S7 Catches Fire And Explodes While On Charger
The controversy surrounding the explosive Galaxy Note 7 devices was a major PR problem for Samsung. Fortunately, the company seemed to recover by the time the Galaxy S8 launched. However, a new report out of the Philippines suggest that at least some of the S8’s predecessors are having similar issues. The story was originally reported by a writer (Bryan) on Technobaboy who was staying with his friend when the incident occurred.
Bryan wrote that the latest incident happened on May 8th, 2017, in the morning. This friend noticed a burning smell in the house and was surprised to find her Galaxy S7 Edge caught fire.
He noted that his friend using a Samsung charger rather than a third-party product so it likely was not the charger’s fault. Regardless of the cause, Bryan reports that the damage to phone was severe having melted the case and chassis.
In addition to the phone, the writer also reported that fire had damaged the bookcase the phone was charging on as well as his friend’s bedsheets. Luckily, no people were harmed by the device’s sudden combustion.
His friend reported the problem to Samsung’s Philippines branch who were quick to respond and took the phone away for testing.
While this might seem reminiscent of last year’s disaster regarding the Note 7, it is likely that this was an isolated incident given the fact that the S7 Edge has been out for more than a year. Incidents like this do happen from time to time, but, as of right now, there’s no evidence to suggest that this will turn into a pattern.
Eric is an avid tech junkie, gamer, and comic fan. When he's not working on his PC, you'll find him at your local comic book shop.