What’s New in The iOS 10 GM Release: Improved Activity, Announce Calls & More
At its annual September event, Apple has just released the next-generation iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, Apple Watch series 2 and the biggest release of iOS ever, the iOS 10. They actually did just drop the iOS 10 GM (Gold Master) for developers. This is the final candidate update to beta users and it’s going to be identical to the the seventh iOS 10 public beta released a couple of weeks ago.
iOS 10 is scheduled for public release next week on September 13. I know you can’t wait until that happens but for now I want to cover this iOS 10 GM release and show you what’s new it has to offer.
Last two iOS beta’s actually saw only a few changes and there was almost nothing new. So it’s refreshing to see at least a little bit change in the latest update. Gold Master has a build number of iOS 10.0.1 and you can update to it from any beta in the software update page.
Before I get into the new features, I want to mention that I am a bit disappointed to see that Apple iOS 10 GM did ship without a Dark Mode. I really hope it does come in the future update like the Night Shift that was introduced with iOS 9.3. As for why I’m so excited about the Dark Mode, you can imagine the spectacular look when the Dark Mode and Space Black iPhone 7 would blend together.
Apple iOS 10 GM New Features
1. First things first, the video placeholders above text tags in iPhone’s Health app finally work. So you’ll be able to play those videos which is indeed a cool change. In addition, the app gets “Improve Activity” option that allow you to to send anonymous health-related information to Apple so they can ameliorate the app’s features.
2. In Settings, if you jump into the Phone tab, there is a new category called “Announce Calls.” Siri can now announce who is calling you based on their contact name. This is a simple little change but was previously unavailable in the last beta.
3. There was also a bug called the notification tap bug where your screen would time out after 30 seconds even if you are interacting with any notification on the Lock screen. It’s been since fixed in this latest iOS 10 GM build.
4. The iOS 10 GM occupies more space, so instead of leaving you with 12.16 GB capacity, now you only get 12.12 GB. Though it’s not a big difference but this latest build does occupy more space on your phone.
iOS 10 GM Changes Review
There are a couple of other features that aren’t new to this version, but they are still worth mentioning.
- If you’re ever inside an article and you highlight a certain area, you share it with others even it’s not an article. It can be anything from Safari and you’ll notice that the hyperlink that it creates will start without highlighted text which really does come handy. So whoever you’re sending it to, you two get that little expert right away.
- I don’t know if you’ve noticed it or not, but in iOS 10, there is no longer a loading bar in messages. This is done in an attempt to not confuse people because sometimes text messages can be instant and it will give you a feeling of being slow. That’s the reasoning behind this feature from Apple.
- To compete with Spotify, Apple Music offers new playlists in a “For You” tab. These will bring new music mixes that will be tailored according to your taste.
This is all about the iOS 10.0.1 Gold Master edition. As mentioned above, we should be seeing a full release on 13th of this month. I won’t recomment you update right away because the first version tends to be filled with bugs. Even though the release has been pretty stable.
Gohar is the lead editor at TechFrag. He has a wide range of interests when it comes to tech but he's currently spending a big chunk of his time writing about privacy, cyber security, and anything policy related.