Steam Survey Shows Windows 10 Touching 50% Mark, GTX 970 Tops GPU Category
Steam has rolled out its monthly Hardware and Software Survey depicting the user status across a variety of fields. Looking at the statistics for August, the biggest change observed is the increase in popularity of Windows 10 among Steam gamers.
The survey indicates that Windows 10 64-bit version is up by 2.77 per cent and currently sits at 47.44 per cent. Whereas, the 32-bit version is adopted by 1.51 per cent users. This makes a total of 48.95 per cent users with Microsoft’s latest Windows OS installed on their devices. If this upward trend continues, you will soon see more than half of Steam user base running Windows 10.
On second place in the OS category is the Windows 7 64-bit which holds about 28.74% of users. Compared to previous month, this is down by 1.29 per cent. Overall, Windows OS is adopted by 95.71 per cent of Steam users, 3.34 per cent use Mac OS X, while less than 1 per cent have Linux installed on their computers.
Moving to other categories, the changes compared to the previous month are barely noticeable. The GeForce GTX 970 remains to be the most common graphics card, with the most popular VRAM being 1024MB. Around 32.88 per cent of users have 8GB of RAM, and the most common resolution on the main screen is 1920 x 1080 pixels (36.95 per cent).
As for virtual reality headsets, HTC Vive remains to be the most common hardware, but it is used by only 0.18 per cent of users which is exactly the same as in July. Next in place is the Oculus Rift which has around 1.10 per cent of users, up by 0.01 per cent from previous month. Regarding its fate, Virtual Reality technology is still in its early stages so it would be hard to draw conclusions based on these number.
Gohar is the lead editor at TechFrag. He has a wide range of interests when it comes to tech but he's currently spending a big chunk of his time writing about privacy, cyber security, and anything policy related.