iPhone Caused Burns After Guy Falls Off Bike, Battery Exploded
We carry out phones with us all the time, everywhere we go. As did this guy. According to him, his iPhone caught fire after he fell off his bike. The iPhone caused burns and the guy had to go to the hospital. This is due to the Lithium Ion battery found in phones. This battery can explode on impact. This is what has happened here with this guy.
Gareth Clear from Sydney was cycling along a trail when he fell off and he felt something warm in his pocket. After that, he felt the pain and found out that it was his iPhone. The phone had caught fire and the iPhone caused burns to his skin.
“I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket… and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain in my top right leg.
“I could see it melting through my shorts. I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus”
Even though build quality of Apple products is great and the company does charge a premium for this, it is surprising that such an incident has taken place in the first place. I know batteries are not very tough and can be damaged easily but still. An iPhone is a sturdy device.
Apple seemed to be quite concerned about that their iPhone caused burns and they have offered to replace the device and offered support as well. What that means in plain words is not clear right now. Maybe they want this to be kept quiet or something. I do not know for sure right now.
This story is still an eye opener and something we all should consider when having a phone with us. Batteries are very delicate and they can be damaged easily so take care of your devices.