PS4K Rumors: Currently Priced at $399, 2x GPU Performance, CPU Upgrade Expected
More rumors relating to the so called PlayStation 4.5 (or PS4K) have surface on the web. The new details come via a NeoGAF forum user OsirisBlack, who claims to have been part of a briefing with Sony.
The post reveals that the PS4K console will be equipped with a much faster GPU, with 2x the performance of the one contained in the standard PS4, and much faster. It wasn’t revealed exactly how fast the GPU is, but is expected to run at a higher clock speed while being much smaller in size than the original.
The new console will carry a price tag of $399.99, but an upgrade to the CPU is also under consideration. If Sony does integrate a better CPU, the price would go up to $499.99 at retail.
In addition to this, the PS4K will feature 4K Blu-ray player, and is capable of upscaling video games that are not natively 4K. At the moment however, Sony has no plans for any type of trade-in programme for current PlayStation 4 users, though the decision could be changed later.
Other details regarding the new hardware include:
- There was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.
- Some developers already have development kits for the PS4K and are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. These games will in fact also work on the PS4, but with considerable sacrifices in terms of performance.
- Current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system if not patched in by the developers.
Further, Sony is set to release five games at launch with the PS4K, including three PlayStation VR games. These are:
- Deep Down
- God of War 4
- Eve Valkyrie (PlayStation VR)
- Robinson (PlayStation VR)
- GT Sport (PlayStation VR)
For now, the above information remains an unconfirmed rumor. We’re keeping our eyes out for more information on PS4K, and will bring you the latest as it happens.