PlayStation VR for PC Coming Soon, Sony Hints
PlayStation VR is priced significantly lower than the competition, making it one of the more affordable options for VR enthusiasts. There is a big catch though: you can only use it with PS4. But, that may change very soon as news has emerged that Sony might release PlayStation VR for PC.
A report from Nikkei cited Sony Computer Entertainment Executive VP Masayasu Ito saying the company is “considering plans” to make PS VR available for PC. According to Masayasu Ito, supporting both platforms wouldn’t be a big stretch as the PS4 and PCs are powered by similar internals including, similar processor and graphics architectures.
PlayStation VR Full Specifications:
- Product Code: UH-ZVR1series
- Release Month: October 2016
- Recommended Retail Price: $399 USD, €399, £349 and 44,980 yen
- External Dimensions VR headset: 187×185×277 mm
- Processor Unit Dimensions: 143×36×143 mm
- VR Headset Mass: 610g
- Processor Unit Mass: 365g
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Size: 5.7 inches
- Panel Resolution: 1920×RGB×1080
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz, 90Hz
- Field of View: Approximately 100 degrees
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Headset Connection Interface: HDMI, AUX, Stereo Headphone Jack
- Processor Unit Connection Interface: HDMI TV, HDMI PS4, USB, HDMI, AUX
- Processor Unit Function: 3D audio processing, Social Screen (mirroring mode, separate mode), Cinematic mode
- Included Items: VR headset × 1, Processor unit × 1, VR headset connection cable × 1, HDMI cable × 1, USB cable × 1, Stereo headphones × 1, AC power cord × 1, AC adaptor × 1/
As of now, Sony is completely focused on building VR content to make sure PlayStation VR offers a great experience to PS4 users. Sony is open to expanding “into various fields,” Ito said, but anything besides the PS4 isn’t a priority right now.
PlayStation VR is priced at $399, and will hit stores in October. If PS VR finds its way to the PC, would you consider buying it? Let us know in the comments section below.