New Intel NUC Launched with Thunderbolt 3, Core i7-6770HQ, 32GB DDR4 Memory
Back in January at CES 2016, Intel announced that it was working on a high-end version of their NUC (Next Unit of Computing) mini PC. Codenamed Skull Canyon, the new NUC was said to be specifically designed for those who felt like Intel’s form factor mini-PC series didn’t have enough GPU performance for their needs.
Well, Intel has just taken the covers off of its high performance Skull Canyon Mini-PC, dubbed Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK, during Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2016. The next gen NUC is powered by a 6th generation Core i7-6770HQ with Iris Pro 580 graphics, and can be configured with up to 32GB of DDR4-2133.
The NUC NUC6i7KYK features the Thunderbolt 3 port which also supports full USB 3.1 gen 2 transfer speeds of 10Gbps. It also opens up possibilities for external graphics cards through a device such as the new Razer Core, making this mini PC a portable gaming beast.
Further, this new NUC sports a full-size HDMI 2.0 and Mini DisplayPort 1.2 outputs, which allow you to send media while using the Type C port for data transfer.
Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK Key Features:
- 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6770HQ processor (45W TDP)
- Intel Iris Pro graphics 580
- Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) with USB 3.1 and DP1.2 over USB-C
- Support for DDR4 memory, up to 32GB at 2133+ MHz
- Support for dual M.2 slots for SATA3/PCIe x4 Gen 3 NVMe/AHCI SSDs
- Full-size HDMI 2.0 port and Mini DisplayPort version 1.2 supporting 8 channel audio (7.1 surround sound)
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 wifi (802.11 ac) and Bluetooth 4.2 pre-installed
- SD card slot (up to 512GB)
- Four USB 3.0 ports (including one charging port)
- Intel HD Audio via Headphone/Microphone jack
- Intel Gigabit LAN
- Consumer infrared sensor
- Ships with two lids – one with a skull logo, one plain matte black (Support for user-replaceable third-party lids)
- Dimension: 216mm x 116mm x 23m – an incredibly small .69L
Intel NUC kit (NUC6i7KYK) retails at $650 for the barebones Skulltrail NUC, while a typical build with 16GB memory, 256GB SSD and Windows 10 is priced at $999. The product will be available for pre-order at Newegg in April, with shipping expected in May.