VRScore is Crytek and Basemark’s New Benchmark for VR
Crytek, the guys behind some of the most popular game development engines and Basemark, the guys renowned for benchmarking have been working together on a new benchmark for VR called VRScore. They have been at it since last year and now, finally, the product has been unveiled.
AT GDC 2016 the two companies officially revealed the new benchmark for VR. Being independent of the companies it will be testing the performance of is one of its key features since it is compatible with both the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift alongside OSVR.
As far as availability is concerned, the Basemark early access program can already get you access to it if you are one of their corporate customers. However, a free version will come out by June.
Since it has been built with Cryengine the VRScore benchmark also supports DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 and measures critical elements like display resolutions, input and output latency, high refresh rates and so on.
Here are some of the highlighted features that were discussed at the official unveil of the new benchmark at Game Developer’s Conference in San Francisco:
- Supports HTC Vive, Oculus and OSVR
- Uses CRYENGINE
- Supports DirectX 12
- Features Codename: Sky Harbor, a new VR production
- Includes tests for interactive VR (game), non-interactive VR (video) and VR spatial audio (sound)
- Can be used with or without an HMD
- Power Board, an integrated online service, gives personalized PC upgrading advice and features performance ranking lists for HMDs, CPUs and GPUs
- Corporate versions include VRTrek, a patent pending latency testing device with dual phototransistors for application to photon latency, display persistence, left and right eye latency, dropped frames and duplicated frames testing
That 3.5mm plug didn’t weird you out?
Being the Managing Editor of TechFrag, Sarmad splits his time between keeping up with latest news, technology, gaming and other awesome things like unearthing the merits of staying up at night and Californication!