BigScreen Brings Your Desktop to VR; 20ft Screen Anyone?
One of the most prominent problem of a virtual reality head set is the isolation from everything outside. While we are still battling with the rest of the things, these guys at BigScreen have at least given us a solution as far as our computers are concerned. This app gives you your desktop in VR as if it is a part of the virtual world.
In other words, your entire PC is going to be available inside the headset.
For starters, this allows you to access any and all apps, files or data on your PC without having to take off your Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. There is no limit to the functions you can perform.
However, what makes this more exciting for me is the opportunity to get a big screen, the size of my entire wall without actually spending on the screen itself.
A 20-foot screen for your desktop. Ditch the 19″ monitor. Everything from playing games to watching videos is better on a big screen. With BigScreen, your Windows desktop shows up on a huge 20-foot screen inside VR.
Alongside that, you can also place shared screens from your friends beside yours, and/ or play games with them donning avatars you like.
Here’s what the developers are boasting of when they say they brought your desktop in VR:
- Hangout with friends: BigScreen is a multiplayer experience, enabling you to play games in a virtual reality LAN party, watch movies with your buddies, collaborate together, or simply hangout!
- Screensharing: See your friends’ desktops on virtual monitors in the VR world
- 3D Voice Chat: Communicate with friends using incredibly realistic 3D Positional audio chat
- Custom Avatars: See your friends and what they’re looking at with synchronized heads
- Cross Platform Support: BigScreen supports the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, enabling you to hangout with friends regardless of their VR device. BigScreen will also be on mobile VR devices soon.
You can sign up for the beta testing phase today if you own Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.