Two Gigabyte Cavium ThunderX ARM Servers Shown Off
Something that skipped almost everyone’s eye at CES recently was that Gigabyte had brought along two models of its Cavium ThunderX ARM Servers.
While there are four of the Cavium Thunder 88xx at their OEM arm, the two they have shown off now are 1U R150-T60 and 2U R270-T60. The image below shows off 1U R150-T60.
That being said, both these servers come with 3.5″ HDD and 10 x 2.5″ HDD configurations variants.
Other features include an Inphi Cortina CS4343 controller with 40GbE. Talking of the 2U R270-T60, it has 2x40GbE for each node which is the same as their other model 1U 1S R120-T30 – this was not shown at CES and so was not 2U H270-T70.
Moving on, the 2U H270-T70 and the 1U R150-T6 have 3x40GbE for each server and 4x10GbE. Also, all these models come with a link to management controller Aspeed AST2400.
There are eight quad-channel configuration DDR4 DIMM for each socket supporting up to DDR4/2400. In 2U configuration you can pack 384 cores and 8x40GbE ports.
When availability and shipment details of the ThunderX based servers were originally announced, Gigabyte mentioned five models. Here’s a rundown on each one of them with some specifications.
- Single-socket 1U R120-T30 servers, in 4 x 3.5″ HDD and 12 x 2.5″ HDD configurations
- Dual-socket 1U R150-T60 servers, in 4 x 3.5″ HDD and 10 x 2.5″ HDD configurations
- Dual-socket 2U R270-T60 servers in 12 x 3.5″ HDD and 24 x 2.5″ HDD configurations
- Dual-socket 2U G220-T60 GPU servers, available with two GPUs and 24 x 2.5″ HDD
- Dual-socket 2U 4-nodes H270-T70 and H260-T70 high density servers
Being the Managing Editor of TechFrag, Sarmad splits his time between keeping up with latest news, technology, gaming and other awesome things like unearthing the merits of staying up at night and Californication!