How to Manually Update Verizon’s Moto E (2nd Gen) to Android 5.1 Lollipop
The second-gen Motorola Moto E, on Verizon, has started receiving Android 5.1 Lollipop OS. Verizon has announced that the most recent version of Android 5.1 firmware with build number 23.11.17 is now being rolled out via over-the-air (OTA) mechanism, so Moto E 2015 users might want to check if the update is available in the About Phone section.
Besides the typical bug fixes, the update brings newer enhancements and improvements to some UI elements, like
- Easier choose and connect for Bluetooth and WiFi in the quick settings pull-down;
- An option to adjust volume controls even while media files are being played;
- Heads-up notifications that disappear when you swipe in an upward direction but they will be kept in the notifications bar;
- Addition of Factory Reset Protection;
- Updated Ambient Display to prevent accidental interactions;
Update Verizon’s Moto E (2nd Gen) to Android 5.1 Lollipop
You can manually search for and install Android 5.1 on your second-gen Moto E. The process is pretty simple; however, before you start proceeding with the steps, make sure the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and that the battery has at least 50% charge.
Step 1: Select the Settings icon in the apps menu.
Step 2: Select About phone
Step 3: Select System updates
Step 4: Select Yes, I’m in. After the software is downloaded, select Install now
Step 5: After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
Your Moto E should now be updated to Android 5.1 Lollipop v23.11.17. Enjoy!
Gohar is the lead editor at TechFrag. He has a wide range of interests when it comes to tech but he's currently spending a big chunk of his time writing about privacy, cyber security, and anything policy related.