Three Ways to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
The SMS text messages pretty much disappear when you delete them from your iPhone. But sometimes, after you’ve deleted an old text message, you realize that you do, in fact, need that particular message. Well fear not, there are ways to retrieve deleted text messages on iPhone.
You can either restore them from backup, or you may use a third-party app for that purpose. Here are three ways to restore text messages you deleted from your iPhone.
Restore Deleted Texts on iPhone via iCloud
If you’ve ever created your iPhone backup using iCloud or iTunes, you should be able to restore your text messages from the backup. So far, this is the best way to get back your SMS messages, but unfortunately, iCloud doesn’t back up SMS in all territories, and for all phone operators.
Follow the below steps to retrieve your texts via iCloud:
1. Login to https://icloud.com with your Apple ID and password.
2. Click on Text Messages. If it isn’t there, your messages haven’t been backed up.
3. If it is there, search the messages to find the ones you need.
4. Now, go to your iPhone and choose Settings > iCloud on your iPhone.
5. Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off).
6. You’ll see a pop-up. Select: ‘Keep on My iPhone’.
7. Now turn back on Text Messages.
8. Tap ‘Merge’, and wait.
After a few minutes, the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone.
Restore Deleted Texts on iPhone via iTunes
If the above method didn’t work for you, try recovering deleted SMS messages from an iTunes backup.
1. Connect your iPhone to the PC with which you sync it.
2. Launch iTunes.
3. Go to the top right-hand corner and select your iPhone.
4. Now choose ‘Restore backup’.
5. Wait for a few minutes, and all the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone.
As long as you haven’t backed up your SMS messages before deleting them, they should now appear on your phone handset.
Restore Deleted Texts on iPhone using a Third-Party App
If both the above tactics fail to work, it’s time to cough up a few bucks and use some well-reputed third-party app. These apps basically work on the principle that even after you have ‘deleted’ messages they remain on your handset until overwritten. So technically speaking, you should be able to recover lost messages using these utilities.
WonderShare Dr.Fone for iOS is one of the best options to recover all file types including SMS messages. The tool lets you recover your lost files in just 3 simple steps:
1. Connect Your Device
2. Scan Your Device
3. Preview & Recovery Your Data
It is recommended to use the app as quickly as possible to retrieve your deleted texts, because the longer you ignore it the more likely it is you will have written over the required part of the memory.
Are you aware of any better ways of recovering deleted text messages on iPhone? Do let us know in the comments section below.
Gohar is the lead editor at TechFrag. He has a wide range of interests when it comes to tech but he's currently spending a big chunk of his time writing about privacy, cyber security, and anything policy related.