WhatsApp Calling Officially Arrives On BlackBerry 10 Devices In The Latest Update
WhatsApp is one of the most used smartphone messenger. It has been making news since it released the anticipated voice calling feature. The feature was officially released on Android, iOS, and Windows Phones but BlackBerry was lagging behind.
BlackBerry owners were using this feature in beta as it was available through BlackBerry Beta Zone for quite some time. Now WhatsApp has officially released the new version 22.214.171.124 for BlackBerry 10 devices which allows users to voice-call with their friends on WhatsApp for free.
In addition to the voice call feature, the new version also brings minor bug fixes with it. Minor improvements include improved font scaling, improved support for focus and navigation on the BlackBerry Classic, and a larger map preview for location messages.
Here are some more features this update brings:
- WhatsApp Calling: Call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. WhatsApp calls use your phone’s Internet connection rather than your cellular plan’s voice minutes. Data charges may apply.
- You can now instantly search for individual messages, chats and contacts just by tapping the search action from the chats list. (Note: It may take a few days before this feature is available to you.)
- Added “Add to Contacts” context actions to the chats list (for chats with unknown contacts) and to the group info screen (for unknown group participants)
- Added custom ringtone selection for incoming WhatsApp calls (Settings, Notification Settings, Call notifications)
- Added year/month subdirectories for received pictures, and WhatsApp-specific subdirectories for received audio and video
- Added counts to the Favs/Groups/Contacts tabs when pulling down the list past the beginning
- Miscellaneous fixes and updates
You can download the latest version WhatsApp v126.96.36.199 from BlackBerry World. Note that if you are a beta user, you will have to delete your beta version before installing the official app. Moreover, the voice calling feature lets you call via internet and it does not use your cellular voice service.