Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Bends Under the Same Pressure As iPhone 6 Plus
Ouch! This is awkward for Samsung. Ever since Samsung revealed their Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, the company has been pretty sure it would not bend like Apple’s latest. However, as it turns out after a new test on S6 Edge, it actually does bend.
Here’s what happened, iPhone 6 Plus released just a few months ago and soon afterwards people found out it could bend in their pocket. Apparently, it takes 110 pounds of force to bend the device. Later on, Samsung took a jab at Apple in a video saying their phone will not bend.
SqaureTrade tried to test this claim by putting the same amount of pressure (110 pounds) to Galaxy S6 Edge by using their new “BendBot.” The test showed that S6 Edge starts to bend at 110 pounds just like iPhone 6 Plus. It’s curved screen cracked under pressure but it was still in a working condition. However, just under 149 pounds of force the S6 Edge was completely done for, whereas it takes 179 pounds to fully destroy iPhone 6 Plus.
Well, I guess there goes Samsung’s claim of S6 not suffering from the same build “weaknesses” as iPhone 6 Plus. Actually, I think the outcome of this test may have been different if SquareTrade would have used S6 rather than S6 Edge.
Edge has a fragile screen design and less metal usage compared to S6.
The question here is, should we worry about its bend issue? I don’t think so. As long as you take care of your device, all should be fine. Just don’t put it in front of “Bendbot.”
Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are hitting the market on April 10 with the following specs.
- 5.1-inch 2,560×1,440 Super AMOLED display with a pixel density of 577 ppi
- Exynos Octacore processor
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 32/64/128GB UFS (Universal Flash Storage) 2.0 internal storage
- Android 5.0 Lollipop
- 16MP f1.9 rear camera with optical image stabilization and live HDR
- 5MP f1.9 front camera with live HDR
- Fingerprint reader
- Category 6 LTE offering up to 300 Mbps down/50 Mbps up data transfer speeds
- Wi-Fi 802.11 AC with HT80 MIMO, Bluetooth LE, NFC, IR blaster
- 2,550mAh (S6) 2600mAh (S6 Edge)