Wikipedia Android App Now Lets You Share Content Through Facebook And Twitter
Wikipedia, the richest repository of information, has introduced “enhanced sharing” feature by updating the Wikipedia Android app. As a result of the update, users will be able to highlight any important piece of content from an article to send it–to fellow learners–in image or text format via various platforms where text or picture sending is possible. For example, Facebook, Twitter etc.
When you comes across some interesting factoid during your reading activity and want to advance it to those who are important to you or are desirous for knowledge, you will just have to long press the screen and drag the sliders. You will then be shown a “share” button. Clicking on this button will list two options: to share as a text or within a picture. In case of text format, Wikipedia just sends that very text but in case of picture, it includes the relevant picture itself.
Readers, if you are interested in Wikipedia App for Android, you can download it from Google play store. With a dozen of very nice features, the app hosts 32 million articles in 280 different languages. Some of the features listed for the app by play store are following:
- Lead images: experience Wikipedia like never before with a prominent, contextually-relevant image and description at the top of articles
- Image gallery: tapping on an image shows you the image full-screen in high resolution, with options to swipe left/right for browsing additional images
- Descriptions from Wikidata: when searching, each search result now contains a quick description that helps to contextualize the result. These descriptions are also shown in other areas of the app, like Nearby
- Article suggestions: scroll to the bottom of an article to see suggestions about what you could read next
- Saved pages: save select pages for offline reading and browse them even when you don’t have a data connection
You may have realized after looking at these features that the app is worth having, especially for marketers. But you can only get the content sharing feature if you are an android users — a sad fact for iOS owners. However, Wikipedia is expected to release an update for its iOS version as well in near future.
Have something to add to this story? Share in the comments below.