Report: Qualcomm Looking to Provide Modified Snapdragon 810 Chips for Galaxy S6
Samsung is yet to officially reveal their next Galaxy S phone. However, rumors and reports regarding the device are coming-in on almost a daily basis.
The latest from the lot, suggested that Samsung might not use Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 chipset in their Galaxy S6. The reason behind this decision is believed to be the overheating issues with the 810.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 is apparently having heating issue at certain voltages but the company has been publicly denying this. With that said, it seems that Qualcomm has taken a U-turn on their statements regarding the 810’s overheating issues.
According to a report by the popular Wall Street Journal, the company has now acknowledged the issue and is looking to fix it. Sources also claim that Qualcomm wants to provide Samsung with modified versions of 810 SoC by March 2015.
Samsung Galaxy S6 is expected to make a debut in March at MWC Barcelona. If they do decide to include 810 in S6, the company will have to face production delays, or reveal the phone further into 2015.
So how will Samsung deal with the situation? Reports claim that Samsung is planning to make their proprietary Exynos chips mainstream. The overheating issue might put Samsung’s Exynos face to face with 810 in the market.
It’s rumoured that Samsung will ship 80 to 90 percent of S6 units with Exynos while the remaining 10 percent will feature Snapdragon 810 chips. That is if, Qualcomm successfully updates it and gets a hold on 810’s alleged overheating problem.
From there, Samsung will slowly increase the production of S6 units with the 810 chips. For those who don’t know, Snapdragon 810 is already being used in certain flagship phones, such as LG G Flex 2 and Xiaomi Mi Note Pro. If we believe the Journal’s report on the situation, does that mean LG G Flex 2 and others using 810 are going to have the same issues? That’s not a comforting news to come across for buyers.
Things will clear up in the coming weeks as we get closer to MWC. Samsung is expected to reveal the latest phone and official details will be shared. We’ll cover the event in detail, so check back with us to know more.
Coming back to the rumors, Galaxy S6 specs are believed to include 64-bit octa-core SoC using a 14nm node processor. It is said to support 5.1-inch QHD Super AMOLED display with Gorilla Glass 4. As for the camera, 20MP seems like the right prediction.
Are you excited for the eventual announcement of S6? What is your take on the chipset debacle? Let us know in the comments below.
Sikander is a gamer at heart and loves to write about the latest technology trends. He does it all in the name of Techfrag!