Report: Apple Befriends Samsung for Its New Project
A new Apple iPhone is on its way with A9 processors, to be provided by Samsung. This is of immense interest for the users and for the commentators that how two grave rivals have joined hands due to the business dependencies. Here in this case, Apple seems to be more dependent on the South Korean company which is successfully in the business making electronic devices as well as processors.
According to the reports, Apple will take 75% of chips from Samsung, it needs for its coming project. The remaining 25% which Apple will get from other sources – mainly Samsung’s rivals such as GlobalFoundries and Taiwan Semiconductor – slightly reminds us that Apple has never been really happy to wholly rely on one of its business enemies. It has tried in the past to look for other producers but has never been quite successful.
The smaller and faster chips are said to be worked on at Sammy’s Taxin faculty. The reduction of the size (as it’s been reported that the new chip will be built on Samsung’s 14nm processor instead of TSMS’s 20nm processor) aided Samsung in finalizing this all important deal with Apple.
This new project means a lot for Samsung financially. Apple disbursed $30 billion for processors in 2013. Having history of such rich attitude towards processors, Apple is likely to make Samsung lick the honey of Financial nets.
Just in the last year, Apple paid Samsung $20 per unit for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. It is purely logical to expect that Samsung will get little higher for this chip which is, hoped, to be termed as i7 or something between i6 and i7.
Both the companies have numerously dragged each other in the courts on various issues. On several occasions, both of the firms have accused each other for ‘cheating’ and what not. An example of such conflicts was witnessed in 2012 when American Apple and Korean Samsung slammed the doors of California courts accusing each other for ‘intellectual property infringement.’
The ‘business’ has once more reunited them. Let’s see what turn this ambivalent love affair takes.
Abubaker Zahoor writes on diverse topics with special interest in innovations, tech-ethics, and inter-and intra- organizational business relationships.