Apple Investigating Alleged iCloud Breach In Celebrity Photo Hack
Yesterday, a hacker reportedly managed to get into the iCloud and leaked some private photos of a lot of famous celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Mary E. Winstead and a lot more. Due to all that pressure on Apple, they have finally come up with a statement saying that they are actively investigating this issue.
A spokesperson for Apple Natalie Kerris said in statement to recode:
We take user privacy very seriously and are actively investigating this report.
After the photos got leaked, a lot of celebrities took to their twitter account, where some of them stated that the photos of them were fake, while some of them were really angry at the people for invading the privacy of their home.
Jennifer Lawrence publicist after this leak said that the “authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos of Jennifer Lawrence.”
After the leak spread wide, the spokesperson of FBI Laura Eimiller told CNN:
The FBI is aware of the allegations concerning computer intrusions and the unlawful release of material involving high profile individuals, and is addressing the matter. Any further comment would be inappropriate at this time.
After this event, the users of iOS are pretty scared to take such kind of picture of themselves as they are worried that they may suffer the same fate as the other female celebrities who are going through an awkward situation now.
Apple is the one, who is really taking the heat after this leak as it’s their iCloud that allegedly gave all the photos away, and now we have come to know by the same hacker that he has pictures of a lot of other celebrities and he will release them on the Internet sooner rather than later.
So far, there have been no solid comment from Apple about the photos got leaked but their security researchers are hard at work to find out how these people got access to the personal files without any issue and leaked it online.
Update: Apple released a statement on Tuesday in which it said that neither iCloud nor Find My iPhone were breached in massive leak of nude celebrity photos. The tech giant said, however, that it was a “very targeted attack” that focused on compromising the usernames, passwords, and security questions of certain accounts of Hollywood celebrities.
Here’s the full press release issued by Apple:
We wanted to provide an update to our investigation into the theft of photos of certain celebrities. When we learned of the theft, we were outraged and immediately mobilized Apple’s engineers to discover the source. Our customers’ privacy and security are of utmost importance to us. After more than 40 hours of investigation, we have discovered that certain celebrity accounts were compromised by a very targeted attack on user names, passwords and security questions, a practice that has become all too common on the Internet. None of the cases we have investigated has resulted from any breach in any of Apple’s systems including iCloud® or Find my iPhone. We are continuing to work with law enforcement to help identify the criminals involved.
To protect against this type of attack, we advise all users to always use a strong password and enable two-step verification. Both of these are addressed on our website at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4232.