Xbox One Goes Live With Reddit App And More Surprises
A few days ago, we bought you the news of Xbox One adding features that were supporting media players and allowing live TV streaming. Another addition, going live today, is of the Reddit app, ReddX, that will allow you to browse through the site while playing games. For Microsoft, particularly Xbox, community is taken into consideration at a great level.
Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb, the Programming director of Xbox Live, wrote:
“The launch of ReddX on Xbox One is exciting because it combines the intense community involvement we’ve come to know on both platforms with the unique capabilities offered by Xbox One.
This update, being rolled out on August 20, is bringing along itself numerous features, which are generally being welcomed by the Reddit community. One user is even buying the console just for this purpose:
Wow, that’s actually amazing. This made me officially decide to pickup a One in the next couple months. (Have PS4, WiiU, plus PC already) – MontyAtWork
ReddX on Xbox One can be snapped to the side of your TV while you’re gaming so you can simply join in threads on the site without having to navigate away from the game. This means the Redditors can interact with each other in similar ways to the reddit.com experience. More features include:
- Unlocking unique media achievements named after some of the Internet’s favorite memes
- Users can check every subreddit
- Customized main page
- Users can read text, view images, videos, GIFs
- Zoom in, zoom out facility for text and images
- Rewindable GIFs
- Option of upvoting or downvoting a thread
- Option of saving any photo either to profile or setting as background image for the app
- Comments can be added through Xbox One controller, media remote or the Xbox SmartGlass
In fact, Major Nelson posted a Reddit thread from ReddX itself just hours before its launch.
— Larry Hryb (@majornelson) August 19, 2014
Twitch on Xbox One is adding new features to the app including:
- Auto zoom
- Audio capture from headsets
- Option to “watch with friends”
- Option to allow Kinect to follow and zoom into your face while broadcasting
The “watch with friends” feature allows you to see the Twitch channels your friends on Xbox are watching and check out the same broadcasts.
MTV on Xbox One:
MTV will be launching itself on Xbox One in the United States with treats for the TV fanatics:
- Sneak peeks
- Bonus clips
- Full episodes from selected MTV series
- TV subscription
- Latest in pop culture and fashion news, fashion and go
- Behind-the-scenes of blockbuster movies
We can only wait to see what Xbox One is going to surprise us with now.
Computer Science student who puts thoughts onto paper either through writing or sketching, and considers ideal happiness as a good book, under the open sky, with a cup of tea.