Hollywood Celebs Got Outranked by YouTube Stars, According to Survey
Variety conducted a survey in July to determine the popularity and influence of public figures among U.S. teens. To their surprise, they found that most influential figures among American teens (aged 13-18) are YouTube celebrities — those users who post interesting videos. These YouTube figures surpass mainstream celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, Johny Depp and even Leonardo Di Caprio.
Here is a list of top 10 most influential figures according to Variety survey (the score earned by the individuals out of 100 is written in brackets after their name):
- Smosh (93) – Two comedians Ian Andrew Hecox and Anthony Padilla run a channel on YouTube mostly posting humorous videos. A video posted by Smosh titled “Real Minecraft Vacations” only a week ago has received 3,729,319 views so far.
- The Fine Bros (92) – Benny and Rafi run this channel on YouTube and post humorous videos receiving average million views in a couple of days.
- PewDiePie (92) – It is run by Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg, who is a Swedish videogamer and has the most subscribers on the YouTube. He posts videos about videos games, including montages and walkthroughs.
- KSI (84) – Run by Olajide who posts hilarious videos making fun of selfies and people in his Nigerian accent. He is famous for participating in a meme called “rape face”. He was banned from the UK’s biggest gaming expo for his behavior towards women.
- Ryan Higa (81) – He is an American comedian Japanese descent. His video Draw My Life posted an year ago has received 17,713,060 views so far.
- Paul Walker (75) – Now comes the first mainstream celebrity famous for his Fast and Furious movie series. He died in a car accident earlier this year, and now comes on number 6 in the list, the first among all mainstream celebrities.
- Jennifer Lawrence (74) – Another mainstream celebrity who is much famous among teens for her role in The Hunger Games and for her weird yet funny acts on and off stage like falling on stage of Oscar 2013 before receiving her award.
- Shane Dawson (72) – Another YouTube figure known for hilarious videos and parodies of Miley Cyrus.
- Katy Perry (70) – Mainstream celebrity.
- Steve Carell (69) – Mainstream celebrity.
Celebrity brand strategist Jeetendr Sehdev at Variety conducted this survey. He found that YouTube stars had more influence than traditional celebrities on purchases among teens. YouTube stars were found to be more engaging, extraordinary and relatable while mainstream celebrities were considered as more smart and reliable.
The survey showed that teens enjoy an interactive and authentic experience with YouTube stars. Teens acknowledged the sense of humor of YouTube stars and appreciated their lack of filter and risk-taking spirit.
Here’s the list of 20 most famous YouTube personalities ranked in terms of “approachability, authenticity and other criteria considered aspects of their overall influence.”
Computer Science student with interests in latest trends in technology, latest news about tech companies, startups, smartphones and football!